As we welcome the last year of this decade, I’d like to start this habit of summarizing how my previous year went and my new goals for the new year.
For the past years that I have been working, I have never used my vacation leaves for travel. Usually, I use them to be with my family in Davao.
2019 was a game-changer. I went to start traveling and …fell in love with it.
Enthusiastic and thrilled with this new found love, I was able to travel to 8 countries for this year. A little aggressive for a first-timer with having only 15 vacation leaves per year, you might say.
Possible yet limiting.
Faced with a dilemma choosing between my family or travel, I realized that I wanted to travel more AND also be with my loved ones more.
( I would bring them with me in a heartbeat if budget is not an issue. )
In 2019, I found a solution to my problem.
Here is my journey to the start of something new
January – The Spark
- Celebrated my Christmas and New Year with my family after not being able to last year. Felt heavy flying back to Manila to work. 2 weeks felt so short and I wished I could just stay longer.
February – The Major Spark
- I started reading ‘4 Hour Work Week’ by Tim Ferris. I was inspired to be able to bring my work anywhere in the world and the idea of mini-retirements.
- My first ever Solo Trip to a different country, in Taiwan! After reading the 4HWW, I became bolder and braver to just book, book, book! …HAHA
- Singapore for a work-related trip.
- I got scammed investing in a Junket Casino Investment Scheme. 🙁 They gave me a closed account check. I should’ve known better.
- My company allowed me to work from home this Holy Week, went home to Davao.
- Pia and I went to South Korea during Cherry Blossom.
- Crazy Busy for our Malaysia App Launch.
- I usually go home to celebrate the three birthdays of my fam, but not for now.
June – Share the Fun
- Japan Trip with my Sister, Jobie May. Happy to experience Universal Studios together and explored the Kansai Region. An achievement to also treat my sister.
July – The Execution
- Started Journaling consistently every day.
- I became more serious looking for a remote job, wanting to go home, and do something more. Prayed harder when I received the news that my brother gets sick frequently.
August – The Offer
- I received a remote job offer. Officially filed my resignation in my current company.
- Indochina trip with Jelai and Wyann. Temple Overload in Thailand and Coffee shop hunting in Vietnam.
September – The Farewell
- On the 27th of September, with a heavy heart, I said goodbye to my Ohmyhomies. Ang sikip sa pakiramdam. I never thought I’d be affected like this. I brought with me a goodbye video that I will cherish forever.
- Pained me saying goodbye to my Discipleship group. This year we became closer and stronger, yet I had to leave.
- Bye, for now, Sonson, my number one supporter & partner.
October – The Freedom
- Hello Freedom! A Month-Long Career Break
- My mom and I got our US VISAs. <3
- Bali, Indonesia Trip with Christia, someone I just met on a bus in Seoul.
- Solo Trip to the Land Down Under, Australia ( Sydney & Melbourne ). My 2nd continent!
- Celebrated my birthday alone in a different country for the first time.
November – The Start of Something New
- Relocated back to Davao after my Aussie Trip! Answered Prayer. <3
- Start of my new work. It was also timely that our CEO, Michael, came to visit Davao. I had a one-on-one with him and met the rest of the team.
- We finished building my room / mini-office at the back of our house.
- Celebrated Christmas and NY with family. This time, not worrying about the limited time to be with them and fly back to somewhere else. #TYG
And so there you have it, my friends. I am finally back in my beloved hometown. Not yet the end game, but it’s a start. 🙂
Sharing my goals for this year for accountability! Let’s see how many I can achieve in the next year’s review.
Goals for 2020
Click the tabs below to navigate.
- Go back to Trading
- Finish More Books – at least 1 book per month
- Healthier Habits – religiously do your morning routine
- Write about all my travels for 2019 and 2020
- DO something about IT.
- Journal Everyday
- Help my siblings lose weight
- To my next dream destination
• February – Dubai Trip with Mama
• April – Cebu, Shanghai, China
• May – Sydney – New Zealand – Melbourne – Manila
• August – Olympics 2020 in Tokyo, Japan
• October – Treat Mama and Papa to _____ ( Hopefully )
2019 has been an incredible ride. I succumbed to the new style of work influenced by the books I’ve read, people that I admired, and the fire that was consuming me. An independent-location type of work allowed me to have more flexibility and freedom, thus resulting in more happiness. I wish you can have this option too!
Despite all that, I also had significant setbacks along the way. My lack of discipline, consistency, and patience led me to achieve little – jumping from one want to another, barely finishing what I started.
For this year…
I’ll focus on less. Focus on what matters the most, and be consistent.
I’d also like to take this moment to thank all the people who have been with me — my family, friends, my D-group, Sonson, my Ohmyhomies & loved ones. I wouldn’t be where I am now without you guys.
I hope this 2020, I’ll finally be able to put everything into words. Through this blog, I’ll be able to share my journey with the hope that it may help and inspire others.
If you made it all the way here, I appreciate it so much. Let’s tick off our 2020 goals together!